I'm writing to you from the year 2015 (at the ripe old age of 44!!) in order to give you some advice about how to get here in one lean, fit, healthy piece! Here's the deal -
Find a new one to climb.
Here’s what you need to do...
1. Find a mentor for your body. Trade brute force for knowledge of movement. Start now. Grab a book (there’s this thing called the internet but it ain’t around yet) by an old guy in great shape and awful white underpants. His name is Joseph Pilates. Joe knows that true power lies in posture, mobility and mindfulness. You need to learn this.
2. STOP! running so much.... I know you love it, but your back hates it. Just sprint now and again.
3. Health is like a puzzle. Work it out. You think it's a given - but that'll change. It’s never to early to know this.
4. Try to do any #3 of these each week -
- Interval training Hell yeah! Be sure to check out Prof Tabata’s work in Japan. It’s due out around now. 4 minutes makes sense, right? You will always have time to have time.
- Plyometrics Try this (it'll save the joints!).
- Circuits Mix it up, have some fun, favor whole body, compound and weight bearing movements. Always be ready to climb a rope - no legs allowed.
- Sprints You know they cut you up, and you know it’s ALL about quality. Never more than 6. EVER. Your competitive days are over.
- Olympic lifting rocks and squats pay, right? Speaking of rocks - why not lift em? It’s way more fun, and the target has moved now. This is for life. Take it outside any chance you get. Half the planet is Vitamin D deficient. Including you!
- Mindful Movement - Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates
- Jogging - There is no other reason to jog. EVER.
5. Ditch your gym membership. Do everything outside.
6. Let your body be where it wants to be. You’re an ectomorph so don’t waste your time trying to bulk up.
7. Know what matters before it really matters to your health.
8. The more they say you need something, the less of it you should probably consume.
9. The more they demonize something, the more of it you probably should eat.
Eat more eggs!
10. Sugar is sh*t. But you kinda know that already. Just sayin.
11. Keep moving like a kid. Crawl. Walk. Swim. Climb the big tree in the garden at home any time you go to see the folks. Right to the top....
12. Health is a contest against misinformation, bad science, bad medicine, fast food and commercial interests. Look them in the eye, learn their language - stand firm and listen only to your body.
13. Contest time with knowledge. Never stop learning.
14. Don’t fear fat! Tear out that carb loading chapter in Lore of Running. Tim Noakes will eventually do it himself anyway!
15. Be fluent in your body. Nourish it with wisdom, food and movement. Always assume you have much to learn. Knowledge changes - change with it.
Oh yeah. About that new hill to climb.....
Be great if you could make this movie in 2005 instead of 2013. You don’t know anything about movies yet, but trust me on this one. It beats working.